Kelsey Libert & Ryan McGonagill of digital marketing/viral content agency Fractl surveyed more than 500 editors at top sites like BuzzFeed, TIME, Lifehacker, Scientific American, TechCrunch, and more about what they want in a pitch.
While there's lots of great data in this presentation, here's some of the most interesting takeaways:
- Although most writers publish one story per day, 44% of them get pitched a minimum of 20 times a day.
- Only 11% often write stories from pitches.
- 70% of publishers would rather collaborate on an asset or piece of content, rather than get a finished version
- 39% are looking for exclusive research to publish.
- 64% said a personal connection with the outreach specialist with moderately or more important
- 81% of journalists prefer being pitched over email
- 69% prefer to be pitched in the morning
And much, much more.