This article talks about how under investment in metrics tends to be a common issue with post-product-market-fit companies. Examples that can happen when you under invest in metrics include:
- Ad hoc analyses are extremely slow or impossible.
- Analyses are wrong.
- Product managers and executives don’t ask questions they would otherwise ask.
- and more.
Jamie also talks about how to tell if you are under investing in metrics, and what features of a "good" metrics system looks like:
- User behavior is tracked on a per-session basis and what exactly led to each session can easily be identified.
- All key events that a user can do on each page in your site/app are tracked and all user-level meta-properties on those events are properly attributed.
- Pre-login behavior is tied to post-login behavior and behavior is tied between devices as much as possible.
- and more