Dr. Robert Cialdini's 6 Principles of Persuasion are instrumental to understanding how social influence works.
Here are the 6 principles, together with more than 50 examples of real-life applications:
- Reciprocity - In many social situations, we pay back what we received from others.
- Commitment (and Consistency) - We tend to stick with whatever we’ve already chosen.
- Social Proof - We tend to have more trust in things that are popular or endorsed by people that we like.
- Liking - We are more likely to comply with requests made by people we like.
- Authority - We follow people who look like they know what they’re doing.
- Scarcity - We are always drawn to things that are exclusive and hard to come by.