Over the years, Lincoln Murphy has come up with a list of sanity checks he goes through before sending a cold email, and he's sharing this list with us.
1. How would I react to getting this email from out of nowhere, from someone I don’t know?
2. Am I talking TO them or AT them?
3. Does this seem like a “blast” or an email a human sent to another human?
4. Is this email too long?
5. Is this readable AND actionable from a small mobile device?
6. Am I starting out with too big of an ask?
7. Am I trying to circumvent the process by jumping to that ask too quickly?
For these to be effective, though... you have to be willing to be 100% honest with yourself. If you can’t, get someone else to run these checks for you.